HOW DOES IT WORK??
* PADDLES: Each bidding 'paddle' has a numbered written on it - (fyi: the paddle might be an actual paddle, a card attached to a wooden handle, a paper plate, etc.) - the paddle is then used to hold up in the air when you place your bid - this is where the 'auction' part comes into play.
* CHIPS: The chips used (poker chip or bingo ball type) have a number put on them that correspond with each paddle. Once you buy your paddle(s) - the corresponding numbered chip(s) is placed in a container with everyone else's chip. The auctioneer will stir them up and then pull from these chips to match the winning paddle number that is held up!
* AUCTION ITEMS: Vendors & Local Merchants donate business related items for our charities to raise money from and for our guests to win!! Usually around 60 items is a good number to have - 30 items for each half of the game. Each item has a quarter bid associated with it depending on the retail amount of the item.
Examples: $7 - $15 = 1 quarter bid, $16 - $35 = 2 quarter bid, $36 - $75 = 3 quarter bid, $76+ = 4 quarter bid. (Each event organizer determines their own Retail quarter bid amounts and how many actual quarter auction items they have on display to be bid on.)
* AUCTIONEER: This person will help explain how the 'auction' will work for the event. They will also read a description about each item that is up for bidding and will tell the guests how many quarters each item is going for. They will pull a 'chip' from the container and show it to everyone to announce the winner!
* PLAYING: OK - you've registered, gotten your paddle(s)* and your extra raffle and 50/50 tickets. You've secured your seat at a table, ordered your food, spent some time looking at all the auction items up for display - maybe you've gotten a program that helps you to know exactly what each item is and how much the quarter bids will be (This is like the RAFFLE part). You've visited all the vendors - filled out their door prize slips & maybe placed an order or two!! You've gotten your food & joined your friends at the table & now its time to play!!
Ok - The auctioneer is describing the first item & telling you how many quarters it is - you would really like to win it so you put your quarter(s) into the container - just like everyone else does! You hold your numbered paddle(s) way up high (cuz you really want that item!!), just like everyone else does! Now, the auctioneer stirs the chips & reaches in - pulls out a number and reads it to the crowd - (This is the BINGO part.)
Now if it's your number - you WIN the item and you've only paid from 1 to 4 quarters for it - however, if you didn't win the item it's ok - you've just 'donated' from 1 to 4 quarters to the charity ~ The auctioneer will continue to pull chips and read the numbers until a winner is called!
NOTE: ALL the quarters collected from your bid & everyone else's bids for that item - will be collected for the charity - remember you were going to donate some money to your cause anyway - so it's a Win/Win situation!!